Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: David Andrew Patterson
Born: November 16, 1947
- American computer pioneer and academic known for his many contributions to RISC processor design, having coined the term RISC, and by leading the Berkeley RISC project.
- Noted for his research on RAID disks.
- Held the position of Professor of Computer Science at the University of California, Berkeley since 1977.
- Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach.
- Computer Organization and Design: the Hardware/Software Interface.
Honors and awards
- ACM Distinguished Service Award (2008).
- ACM-IEEE Eckert-Mauchly Award (2008).
- Elected president of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) for 2004–06.