Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: Donald Watts Davies
Born: June 7, 1924, in Treorchy, Wales
Death: May 28, 2000 (Age: 76)
- Welsh computer scientist known as one of the inventors of packet switching computer networking, and originator of the term.
- He developed the Pilot ACE computer, which first worked in May 1950. A commercial spin-off, DEUCE was manufactured by English Electric Computers and became one of the best-selling machines of the 1950s.
- Communication Networks for Computers.
- Computer Networks and Their Protocols.
- Security for Computer Networks.
Honors and awards
- Appointed a Distinguished Fellow of the British Computer Society (1975).
- Inducted into the Internet Hall of Fame by the Internet Society (2012).