Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: Federico Faggin
Born: December 1, 1941 in Italy
Computer related contributions
- Italian physicist and electrical engineer who was principally responsible for the design of the first commercial microprocessor.
- Granted patent #3,821,715 on June 28, 1974 that describes a memory system for a multichip digital computer.
- Led the 4004 (MCS-4) project to its successful outcome and promoted it.
- Led the design group during the first five years of Intel's microprocessor effort.
- Founder and CEO of Zilog, the first company solely dedicated to microprocessors.
Honors and awards
- National Medal of Technology and Innovation from the U.S. President Barack Obama (2010)
- The 2011 George R. Stibitz Lifetime Achievement Award by the American Computer Museum (Bozeman, MT).