Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: Frances (Fran) Elizabeth Allen
Born: August 4, 1932 in Upstate New York, USA
Computer related contributions
- American computer scientist and pioneer in the field of optimizing compilers.
- Known for her work in compilers, code optimization, and parallelization.
- Had a role in intelligence work on programming languages and security codes for the National Security Agency.
Honors and awards
- Inducted into the WITI Hall of Fame (1997)
- Won the Augusta Ada Lovelace Award from the Association for Women in Computing (2002)
- Received the A.M. Turing Award (First woman recipient in the forty year history of the award) (2006)