Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: Greg Chesson
- American computer scientist and UNIX and networking expert.
- Inventor of the Xpress Transfer Protocol (XTP), a flexible transport protocol created for high-speed networks.
- Designed the gigabit system network (GSN), also known as HIPPI-6400.
- Often referred to as the godfather of networking because of his many contributions to the area.
- Former chief computer scientist with Silicon Graphics Inc. (SGI).
- Senior staff engineer at Google (2014).
Honors and awards
- Nominated for the Illinois Distinguished Achievement Award (2012).
"I wouldn't be surprised if, of all the hugely successful companies in Silicon Valley, Silicon Graphics made the fewest millionaires out of the engineers that founded it."