Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: Herman Heine Goldstine
Born: September 13, 1913, in Chicago, USA
Death: June 16, 2004 (Age: 91)
- Mathematician and computer scientist, who was one of the original developers of ENIAC, the first of the modern electronic digital computers.
- Helped develop flowcharts.
- One of the chief scientists of the International Business Machine Corporation (IBM) for 26 years.
- Preliminary Discussion of the Logical Design of an Electronic Computer Instrument (1946).
- The Electronic Numerical Integrator and Computer (ENIAC)". The Origins of Digital Computers: Selected Papers (1946).
- New and Full Moons: 1001 B.C. to A.D. 1651 (1973).
- History of Numerical Analysis from the 16th Through the 19th Century (1977).
- The Computer from Pascal to von Neumann (1980).
- History of the Calculus of Variations from the Seventeenth Through the Nineteenth Century (1980).
Honors and awards
- Appointed an IBM Fellow (1969).
- Harry H. Goode Memorial Award (1979).
- National Medal of Science (1983).
- Hall of Fame of the Army Ordnance Department (1997).
- Benjamin Franklin Medal for Distinguished Achievement in the Sciences of the American Philosophical Society (1997).