Name: Jack Ma or Ma Yun
Born: September 10, 1964, in Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province, China
- Chinese business and Internet entrepreneur.
- Executive Chairman of Alibaba Group.
- Former lecturer in English and International Trade at the Hangzhou Dianzi University.
- Founded China Yellowpages, considered to be China's first Internet-based company (1995).
Honors and awards
- First mainland Chinese entrepreneur to appear on the cover of Forbes.
- Awarded an honorary doctoral degree by the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (2013).
- Chosen by Forbes Asia as one of "Asia's Heroes of Philanthropy" (2010).
- Listed in Time Magazine's World's 100 most influential people (2009).
- Named one of the "25 Most Powerful Businesspeople in Asia" by Fortune (2005).
"The day we got connected to the Web, I invited friends and TV people over to my house," and on a very slow dial-up connection, "we waited three and a half hours and got half a page.... We drank, watched TV and played cards, waiting. But I was so proud. I proved (to my house guests that) the Internet existed."