Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: James Gosling
Born: May 19, 1955 near Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Computer scientist, best known as the father of the Java programming language.
- Between 1984 and 2010, Gosling was with Sun Microsystems.
- Hired by Google March 28, 2011 and has since then joined a startup called Liquid Robotics.
- Gosling is listed as an advisor at the Scala company typesafe, launched in May 2011.
- The Java Programming Language, Fourth Edition (2005).
- The Java Language Specification, Third Edition (2005).
- The Real-Time Specification for Java (2000).
- The Java Application Programming Interface (1996).
- The Java language Environment: A white paper (1996).
- The NeWS Book : An Introduction to the Network/Extensible Window System (1989).
Honors and awards
- Made an Officer of the Order of Canada (2007.
- Awarded The Economist Innovation Award (2002).