Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: Jean Baptiste Joseph Fourier
Born: March 21, 1768, in Auxerre, Burgundy, Kingdom of France (now in Yonne, France)
Death: May 16, 1830 (Age: 62)
- French mathematician and physicist best known for initiating the investigation of Fourier series and their applications to problems of heat transfer and vibrations.
- The Fourier transform and Fourier's Law are also named in his honor.
- Fourier is also generally credited with the discovery of the greenhouse effect.
- Théorie analytique de la chaleur (1822).
- Analyse des équations déterminées (1827).
- Mémoire d'analyse sur le mouvement de la chaleur dans les fluides (1833).