Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: John Vincent Atanasoff
Born: October 4, 1903, Hamilton, New York
Death: June 15, 1995 (Age: 91)
- Inventor of the first digital computer, the Atanasoff–Berry Computer (ABC). The computer was first conceived in 1937 and first tested in 1942.
Honors and awards
- United States National Medal of Technology in 1990.
- Coors American Ingenuity Award in 1986.
- Holley Medal, American Society of Mechanical Engineers in 1985.
- Computing Appreciation Award, EDUCOM in 1985.
- Computer Pioneer Medal from the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers in 1981.
- Iowa Inventors Hall of Fame in 1978
- Order of Saints Cyril and Methodius, First Class, Bulgaria's highest scientific honor in 1970.
- The asteroid (3546) Atanasoff is named after John Vincent Atanasoff.