Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: John Logie Baird
Born: August 14, 1888, in Helensburgh, Dunbartonshire, Scotland
Death: June 14, 1946 (Age: 57)
- Scottish engineer, inventor, and innovator.
- Invented the world's first mechanical television.
- Created the first publicly demonstrated colour television system.
- Designed the first purely electronic color television picture tube.
Honors and awards
- Named in the National Library of Scotland's 'Scottish Science Hall of Fame' as one of the 10 greatest Scottish scientists in history (2006).
- Ranked number 44 in the BBC's list of the "100 Greatest Britons" (2002).