Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: John Makepeace Bennet
Born: July 31, 1921 in Warwick, Queensland, Australia
Death: December 9, 2010 (Age: 89)
Computer related contributions
- Australia's first professor of computer science and the founding president of the Australian Computer Society.
- Known for his pioneering work on early computers, including EDSAC, Ferranti Mark 1*, and SILLIAC.
- Remembered for his work advocating the use of computers through computing courses and associations.
Honors and awards
- Awarded the Pearcey Medal (2004)
- Awarded the Centenary Medal for service to Australian computer science and technology (2001)
- Became an Officer of the Order of Australia (1983)