Name: John Forbes Nash, Jr.
Born: June 13, 1928 in Bluefield, West Virginia, USA
Died: May 23, 2015 (Age: 86)
Computer related contributions
- American mathematician who is known for Nash equilibrium, Nash embedding theorem, Algebraic geometry and Partial differential equations.
- Interests included game theory, partial differential equations and differential geometry.
- His theories are used in computing, artificial intelligence, accounting, market economics, evolutionary biology, politics, and military theory.
- Two-person Cooperative Games (1953)
- Non-cooperative Games (1951)
- The Bargaining Problem (1950)
- Equilibrium Points in N-person Games (1950)
Honors and awards
- Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences (1994).
- John von Neumann Theory Prize (1978).
- He is the subject of the Hollywood movie A Beautiful Mind which focuses on his mathematical genius and schizophrenia.
"I seem to be thinking rationally again in the style that is characteristic of scientists. However, this is not entirely a matter of joy as if someone returned from physical disability to good physical health."