Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: Leslie John Comrie
Born: August 15, 1893, in Pukekohe, New Zealand
Death: December 11, 1950 (Age: 57)
- Astronomer and a pioneer in mechanical computation.
- In 1928, he was the first to use Punched card equipment for scientific calculations.
- Errors in Mathematical Tables (1942).
- The total solar eclipse of 1940 October 1 (1933).
- Eclipse of Rhea by the shadow of Titan (1921).
Honors and awards
- Elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of London (1950).
- A lunar crater (23.3N 112.7W) and an asteroid, 3521 Comrie, bear his name.