Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: Leslie Lamport
Born: February 7, 1941, in New York City, New York, USA
- American computer scientist best known for his seminal work in distributed systems and as the initial developer of the document preparation system LaTeX.
- His research contributions have laid the foundations of the theory of distributed systems and his papers on the subject are among the most cited papers in the field of Computer Science.
- Specifying Systems: The TLA+ Language and Tools for Hardware and Software Engineers (2002).
- LaTeX: A Document Preparation System (1994).
Honors and awards
- Elected to the United States National Academy of Sciences (2011).
- IEEE John von Neumann Medal (2008).
- Dijkstra Prize (2005).
- IEEE Emanuel R. Piore Award (2004).
"A distributed system is one in which the failure of a computer you didn't even know existed can render your own computer unusable."