Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: Marc Russell Benioff
Born: September 25, 1964 in San Francisco, California USA
Computer related contributions
- Chairman & CEO of salesforce.com.
- He is "credited with turning the software industry on its head" by using the Internet to revamp the way software programs are designed and distributed. He has often spoke of software as a service as the model that would replace traditional enterprise software.
- Coined "platform as a service" and has grown his company by allowing customers to build their own applications on the company’s architecture, or in the salesforce.com "cloud."
- Compassionate Capitalism: How Corporations Can Make Doing Good an Integral Part of Doing Well (2004)
- The Business of Changing the World: 20 Great Leaders on Strategic Corporate Philanthropy (2006)
- Behind the Cloud: The Untold Story of How Salesforce.com Went from Idea to Billion-Dollar Company and Revolutionized an Industry (2009)
Honors and awards
- Fortune named him one of the Smartest 50 People in Tech (2010).
- San Francisco Business Times named Benioff 2009 Executive of the Year.
- Appointed by President George W. Bush as the co-chairman of the President’s Information Technology Advisory Committee (2003–2005).
- Forbes named salesforce.com one of America's Best Companies.