Updated: 12/01/2019 by Computer Hope
Name: Nate Silver
Born: January 13, 1978, in East Lansing, Michigan
- American statistician, sabermetrician, psephologist, and writer of FiveThirtyEight blog.
- First gained public recognition for developing PECOTA, a system for forecasting the performance and career development of Major League Baseball players. He sold PECOTA to Baseball Prospectus, and then managed it for them from 2003 to 2009.
- The accuracy of his November 2008 presidential election predictions — he correctly predicted the winner of 49 of the 50 states. In the 2012 Presidential election, Silver correctly predicted the winner of all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
- In 2010, Silver's FiveThirtyEight blog was licensed for publication by The New York Times.
- The Signal and the Noise (2012).
Honors and awards
- FiveThirtyEight won a Webby Award as the "Best Political Blog" (2012).
- Named one of The World's 100 Most Influential People by Time (2009).
- FiveThirtyEight became the first blog ever selected as a Notable Narrative by the Nieman Foundation for Journalism at Harvard University (2008).