Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: Nate Silver
Born: January 13, 1978, in East Lansing, Michigan
- American statistician, sabermetrician, psephologist, and writer of FiveThirtyEight blog.
- First gained public recognition for developing PECOTA, a system for forecasting the performance and career development of Major League Baseball players. He sold PECOTA to Baseball Prospectus, and then managed it for them from 2003 to 2009.
- The accuracy of his November 2008 presidential election predictions—he correctly predicted the winner of 49 of the 50 states. In the 2012 Presidential election, Silver correctly predicted the winner of all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
- In 2010, Silver's FiveThirtyEight blog was licensed for publication by The New York Times.
- The Signal and the Noise (2012).
Honors and awards
- FiveThirtyEight won a Webby Award as the "Best Political Blog" (2012).
- Named one of The World's 100 Most Influential People by Time (2009).
- FiveThirtyEight became the first blog ever selected as a Notable Narrative by the Nieman Foundation for Journalism at Harvard University (2008).