Name: Peter Norvig
Born: December 14, 1956, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
- Author, with Stuart Russell, of the influential book Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach.
- Director of Research at Google.
- Division Chief of Computational Sciences at NASA, 1998-2001.
- Senior Scientist, Sun Microsystems Labs, 1991-1994.
- Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach (1995, 2002, 2009, with Stuart Russell).
- Intelligent Help Systems for UNIX (ed., 2001, with Stephen Hegner, Paul McKevitt and Robert Wilensky)..
- Verbmobil: A Translation System for Face-to-Face Dialog (1994, with Martin Kay and Mark Gawron).
- Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming: A Common Lisp Approach (1992).
Honors and awards
- AAAI/EAAI Outstanding Educator Award (2016, with Stuart Russell).
- Fellow, Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (2013).
- Fellow, California Academy of Science (2013).
- Forbes Magazine, "7 Most Powerful Computer Scientists" (#3, 2012).
- Berkeley Engineering Innovation Awards, Lifetime Achievement (2008).
- Fellow, American Association for Artificial Intelligence (2001).
- NASA Exceptional Achievement Medal (2001).
"More data beats clever algorithms, but better data beats more data."
"Let me just say that, if you ever have the choice of putting your words in PowerPoint or having them carved into 30-foot high marble, I'd say go for the marble."