Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: Russell Shoemaker Ohl
Born: January 1898
Death: March 1987 (Age: 89)
- Known for patenting the modern solar cell.
- Semiconductor researcher prior to the invention of the transistor.
- Specialized in the behavior of certain types of crystals.
- Investigated diode detectors suitable for high-frequency wireless, broadcasting, and military radar.
- Discovered the PN barrier (known as the "P–N junction).
- All diodes (including LEDs, laser diodes etc.) are derived from Ohl's work.