Name: Salman Khan
Born: October 11, 1976, in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
- American educator, entrepreneur, former hedge fund analyst, and founder of the Khan Academy, a free online education platform and non profit organization.
- From a small office in his home, Khan has produced over 3,000 videos teaching a wide spectrum of academic subjects, mainly focusing on mathematics and the sciences. As of September 2012, the Khan Academy channel on YouTube attracted 400,000 subscribers.
- In 2010, Google provided $2 million to support the creation of more courses and to enable the Khan Academy to translate its core library into the world's most widely spoken languages.
- Salman Khan worked as a hedge fund analyst before quitting in late 2009.
- The One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined (2012).
Honors and awards
- Named in Time's annual list of the 100 most influential people in the world (2012).
- Khan Academy received the Microsoft Tech Award for education (2009).
- Salman Khan has been featured on The Colbert Report, PBS NewsHour, CNN, and National Public Radio.
"It is our mission to provide a world-class education to anyone, anywhere. With this in mind, we want to share our content with whoever may find it useful."
"It's going to become mainstream for people to say, 'Why are we giving lectures in classrooms?' 'Can't we use that time to do something more human, more interactive?"