Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: Shigeru Miyamoto
Born: November 16, 1952, in Sonobe, Kyoto, Japan
- Japanese video game designer and producer.
- Known as the creator of some of the most successful video game franchises of all time, including Mario, Donkey Kong, The Legend of Zelda, Star Fox, F-Zero, Pikmin, and the Wii series.
- Currently manages the Nintendo Entertainment Analysis and Development branch.
- The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia (2013).
Honors and awards
- Chosen as one of Time Magazine's 100 Most Influential People of the Year (2007, 2008).
- Game Developers Choice Awards (2007).
- Featured in TIME Asia's "60 Years of Asian Heroes" (2006).
- Made a Chevalier (knight) of the French Ordre des Arts et des Lettres (2006).
- First person inducted into the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences' Hall of Fame (1998).
"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock and roll."