Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: Stephen Arthur Cook
Born: December 14, 1939, in Buffalo, New York, USA
- American-Canadian computer scientist and mathematician.
- Known for NP-completeness, Propositional proof complexity and the Cook-Levin theorem.
- Recognized as one of the forefathers of computational complexity theory.
- The Complexity of Theorem Proving Procedures (1971).
Honors and awards
- Appointed to the Order of Ontario by the Government of Ontario (2013).
- Gerhard Herzberg Canada Gold Medal for Science and Engineering (2012).
- Association for Computing Machinery Fellow (2008).
- John L. Synge Award (1999).
- CRM-Fields-PIMS prize (1999).
- Bernard Bolzano Medal (1999).
- ACM Turing Award (1982).