Updated: 09/15/2017 by Computer Hope
Name: Vern Paxson
- Professor of Computer Science at the University of California, Berkeley.
- Internet researcher based at the International Computer Science Institute in Berkeley, California.
- Key interests are transport protocols, intrusion detection and worms.
- Participating member of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) community.
- Author of the flex lexical analyzer and the Bro intrusion detection system.
- Coined the term "Backscatter" (Internet background noise resulting from a DDoS attack using multiple spoofed addresses).
Honors and awards
- ACM's Special Interest Group on Data Communications (SIGCOMM) Award (2011).
- Inducted as a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) (2006).