Find files by date modified in Windows
Updated: 05/02/2021 by Computer Hope
Using the date modified feature in Windows File Explorer allows you to find any files that were modified on a specific date or over a range of dates. Using this tip is helpful for anyone who lost a file but knows when they last made edits.
How to find the date of modified files
- Press the Windows key+E on the keyboard to open File Explorer.
- On the left side-scrolling menu, select the drive or folder that you want to view the last modified date(s) (A) for the contents.
- On the right side of the screen, type datemodified: (make sure to include the colon) in the search box (B).
- Once done, all the current drive/folder contents are sorted by last modified date, from most recent to oldest.
- After typing "datemodified:" in the search box, you can click the Date Modified button (A) in the top-center menu to select a range of dates (B).