Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to convert PWP files  (Read 9487 times)

dpclub1

How to convert PWP files
« on: August 01, 2005, 02:02:23 PM »
I found an ancient A-Drive disc with loads of important information that I need to read.  The disc is marked " TANDY  MS-DOS PREFORMATTED and the files contained are in PWP extensions.  This might have been for an old typewriter style word processor machine I had a decade or more ago?   IS THERE ANY WAY TO CONVERT THESE OLD PRINT FILES into something my computer can read?  Thanks.... Mike

Hopester Doofus

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
    Re: How to convert PWP files
    « Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 03:44:20 PM »
    These are image files, from a utility called ProfessionalWrite Plus. This link contains a download which may enable you to view them in a jpeg format.

http://www.photoworks.com/software/index.jsp?cb=PW&svr=web20&guest=true
    There’s no limit to what you can achieve if you don’t mind who gets the credit.

dpclub1

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 05:21:41 PM »
    Thanks for the advice.  I found another of the disks and it turns out these disks are for an old Smith Corona word processer machine I used to use.  The PWP files are not picture files, they are type only as the one I'm trying to find a way to read is nothing but written word files.  The utility disk from the set is marked PWP UTILITY DISK PWP 3600DS, PWP 3650D, PWP 78DS  

With my luck, there is probably no way to convert these old files for the new generation computers to read???  Do you have any ideas?   Thanks again.. Mike  [email protected]

Hopester Doofus

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
      « Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 02:12:39 AM »
      Someone in this forum might have a ready answer. Failing that, you may want to try these people.

http://www.comgen.co.uk/

Good luck.

Mac

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 11:04:33 AM »
      You could try going to Folder Options, File Types...

...click on New and add .PWP then associated the file extension with Notepad or Wordpad.

Then see if that will do the trick.

Hopester Doofus

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
        « Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 02:17:44 PM »
        Then see if that will do the trick.

And let us know if it works! Your question was a good one.

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 02:33:41 PM »
        Try the following website as well:

File Ext PWP information

swizzard55

• Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 10:24:34 PM »
          I recently bought a SMITH CORONA PWP 365DS. It is an electronic typewriter on steroids! It has spell correction, calendar, and a 720K 3.5" DOS floppy drive.
          It saves the "Word Processor" file in .PWP format.
          I discovered the .PWP format is just a text file with a header.
          I copied some .PWP from my SMITH Corona floppy to my Windows laptop.
          I changed the extension to:
          xxxxxxxx.PWP.txt
          Then opened it with MetaPad  notepad
          The file has no "CR"s in it so unless you have word wrap it is one long line.
          è ÿßßßßML4D '92 BH °f                                                               The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog?abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ1234567890-=«';/.,!@#$%½&*() +
          The header is the:
          è ÿßßßßML4D '92 BH °f                                                                        
          ...Portion at the front

This message is NOT reproducing the characters exactly as I got with "notepad", but no matter.
          You should be able to duplicate the process with your own files.
          I just  replaced the text starting with:  The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog?abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ1234567890-=«';/.,!@#$%½&*() +
          Saved the file with a new name ending in .PWP and copied it onto the 720k floppy.
          The Smith Corona was able to read the file.
          Of course it will not retain the formatting and you may get some weird characters from a formatting attempt.
          But if you want to read and create .PWP files from your Smith Corona, it is not that hard.
          Send an email if you need a little help.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 05:57:39 AM »
          Ummm...they left 11 years ago...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "