Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Differences between Linux and Windows Server  (Read 3261 times)

Xarzu

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Differences between Linux and Windows Server
    « on: February 26, 2012, 08:43:15 AM »
    I have been studying a web site that uses ASP.NET and so it resides on a Windows Server but it also uses some JScript so it is worth studying.  Anyway, I am moving it to a Linux server and I have noticed some differences in the way it handles files.  First of all, the Windows Server is not case sensitive.  But I also noticed something else.  It seems that the Windows Server can have file names with spaces in them like this:  "Creative%20Design%20vert_S" where the "%20" is a space.  But, when I try to upload this directory to the Linux server using FileZilla it does not seem to work.  And then when I try to create the directory, I get an error "Forbidden command argument".  So is using %20 in a direcory name illegal in Linux?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Differences between Linux and Windows Server
    « Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 09:10:21 AM »
    you've been busy.

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/showthread.php?t=251603

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?p=8059837

Anyway, I would guess the problem is that %20 is a url escape code and that FTP doesn't accept filenames as URLs. it accepts them as filenames. Also, according to the FTP protocol, it would appear that if there are spaces in a name you are to put periods as placeholders when specifying that name.

Another alternative would be to use mput and or mget, instead.

As to your server, you'll need to install the Mono/ASP.NET plugin for Apache. If your lucky it will work. If you aren't, it won't.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.