Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Slightly Used PC makes no sense  (Read 4671 times)

leonhart18

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Slightly Used PC makes no sense
    « on: July 14, 2014, 09:39:51 AM »
    I recently got a somewhat new pc from my dad, he used it for a month and its sat shut down ever since until yesterday when he gave it to me since my laptop is ancient.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130318-1533)
               Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: eMachines
           System Model: EL1333G
                   BIOS: )Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG
              Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor LE-1660, ~2.8GHz
                 Memory: 2048MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 1790MB RAM
              Page File: 1518MB used, 5272MB available
            Windows Dir: C:\Windows
        DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
       User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
     System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
        DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
         DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Quite better specs than my 7 year old laptop, which clocks at 1.8 ghz and no video.

HOWEVER, the problem is thus-

Games that run at 40 fps or more on my dell, such as dont starve or EVE online, run at 15 fps or LESS on my BETTER desktop. I reset EVERYTHING when I got it, ive ran v and mal scans, defragged, the works. What on earth could be the problem??

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Slightly Used PC makes no sense
    « Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 09:47:44 AM »
    That desktop is pretty weak, what spec of laptop are you comparing it to?

leonhart18

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 09:50:01 AM »
      dell latitude d230, i believe.

leonhart18

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 10:52:24 AM »
        anyone?

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 11:51:08 AM »
        This is a forum, not a chat room. Responses are not immediate. Also, unlike a chat room the responses you receive here will be intelligent, thoughtful and on point. Please wait patiently.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 01:29:21 PM »
        The OP is asking why his computer is underperforming, not why it is crashing or freezing. Analyzing underperformance can be very time-consuming and hard to evaluate.
        One method often used is the divide and conquer technique. You divide the problem in the middle and go after the part that appears to be defective. This means you have to have replacement materials available.
        First thing to do is to updating another hard drive. That's equal to the one that's now in the computer. Next, install the same operating system using the original install disk and install the original chipset drivers. This should put the computer in its original factory state. After that install only the program needed to do the performance test. In most cases, you'll see it in proven in performance when you have a very bear naked system with only one program installed. If that is the way it works out, you know it has something to with the operating system and the updates, modifications, and other programs that have been installed.
        But if using a clean hard drive and a new installation does not make any improvement in performance, then you have to conclude that the hardware is just not capable of good performance. The next thing to suspect is the video system. Replacing the video system can be a major chore, and you may want to reconsider. If it is worthwhile or not.
        This is just a general technique to try to isolate the problem to a certain area. The alternative of just trying one thing at a time is extremely tedious and seldom are results in a faster solution.
        That's the best I can offer, unless there is some specific error message or code or other indication that would pinpoint the problem area.
        Best I can offer.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 01:31:05 PM »
        The CPU in the desktop is low ranking in Passmark's CPU lookup "low mid range CPUs" list, and is only a bit above an Intel Atom:

Athlon II X2 240 1635
        Athlon LE-1660 719
        Intel Atom D2550 666

http://cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+LE-1660

The E-machines EL1333G is not a gaming machine! it was $300 in Wal-Mart in 2010. It has Nvidia integrated graphics.

As for it being "nearly new", well, CPUs don't wear out, so the time it was used from new makes no difference.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 05:45:19 AM »
        I believe the Dell D230 had an option for a dedicated video card, which would outperform the integrated graphics in the Emachines.  The CPUs available were also pretty good for the time and I wouldn't be surprised to see little or no performance difference going to this new PC.
        You're essentially comapring what was a fairly high end laptop with a rather low end desktop, and although the desktop is a few years newer, it's not necessarily faster.