Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Apple iPhone. Feqwer chips from Samsung.  (Read 3671 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Apple iPhone. Feqwer chips from Samsung.
« on: September 25, 2014, 07:48:54 PM »
Full title is:
Apple Is Buying Fewer Samsung Chips For iPhone 6 And That's A Problem For Samsung
http://www.ibtimes.com/apple-buying-fewer-samsung-chips-iphone-6-thats-problem-samsung-1694572
Apple's iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are going to have a big impact on Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., but not in the way you might think. That's because Samsung not only competes against Apple with its Galaxy S5 and Note 3, but Samsung makes the A-series chips that make Apple's smartphones run.
But teardowns performed on Apple’s iPhone 6 and 6 Plus revealed that Apple is tapping a much wider number of chipmakers for its smartphones, which is bad news for Samsung. "Will it hurt Samsung? No doubt about it," Roger Entner, mobile analyst at Recon Analytics, said.
Fortunately for Samsung, it has taken time for Apple to diversify its chip suppliers because the components themselves are highly specialized. Diversification takes some time and that’s what we’re seeing. "It’s for the good of Samsung that [diversification] hasn’t happened as quickly," Entner said. "It gives them a buffer."

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Apple iPhone. Feqwer chips from Samsung.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 05:20:09 AM »
I'm actually surprised that they didnt have motorola making their chips given the long history they had with motorola up until implementing the Intel CPU's etc. With all the money they Apple has to invest, i am surprised that they arent working with motorola to come up with their own, however I can see shopping around for another chip manufacturer vs reinventing the wheel so to speak if another reliable chip maker is available and the cost is just the cost of the chip vs the large chunk of change into developing their own from scratch with motorola's help.