Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 19019 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2014, 07:13:38 AM »
I wasn't clear in my post. The prompt to install was only after I typed edit and pressed enter (eg entered the edit command) launching cmd by itself presented no prompt- the prompt was for the NTVDM for running 16-bit programs.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2014, 09:39:09 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_DOS_machine

At this link here, some good reading on NTVDM as well as Security portion of this must be what i heard of a few years ago with Windows XP and NTVDM.
Security issue

In January 2010, Google security researcher Tavis Ormandy revealed a serious security flaw in Windows NT's VDM implementation that allowed unprivileged users to escalate their privileges to SYSTEM level, noted as applicable to the security of all x86 versions of the Windows NT kernel since 1993. This included all 32-bit versions of Windows NT, 2000, XP, Server 2003, Vista, Server 2008, and Windows 7. Ormandy did publish a proof-of-concept exploit for the vulnerability. Prior to Microsoft's release of a security patch, the workaround for this issue was to turn off 16-bit application support, which prevented older programs (those written for DOS and Windows 3.1) from running. 64-bit versions of Windows were not affected since they do not include the NTVDM subsystem. Once the Microsoft security patches had been applied to the affected operating systems the VDM could be safely reenabled.

The turning OFF of 16-bit support may be why Windows 10 32-bit requires you to install this feature when running edit for first time on 32-bit Windows 10. Even though they fixed it... "Once the Microsoft security patches had been applied to the affected operating systems the VDM could be safely reenabled"

Digging through Windows 10 32-bit I came across an option for ON/OFF for "Autoplay" and an ON/OFF for "Download over Metered Connections". Its nice that Microsoft gave option to disable AutoPlay=AutoRun and made it easily accessible to enable/disable, as well as thought of those with portable devices with a limited data plan with the Metered Connection download enable/disable since many of the features on Windows 10 appear to be web based/requiring internet connection to function... since I have been testing it offline currently and havent connected online with it yet to test further.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2014, 01:54:17 PM »
Ok... so I installed this Windows 10 x86 ( 32bit ) to a totally different computer, also different hard drive which I know is healthy and I am a same crash condition for NTDVM.

Specs of this second system are:

Dell Dimension E310
Pentium 4 HT 3.0Ghz
2GB DDR2 RAM
80GB SATA HDD

Attached below is the crash. The strange thing though with this system is that it went through the NTVDM installation of this feature. It then started EDIT without any problems. I entered some text and then saved it. And then exited EDIT back to command shell. I then entered the command from command shell edit test123.txt again from a different directory and that is when it crashed.

I was going to populate some folders with test files and then mess around with batch to see what works and what does not etc, and it crashed right at the 2nd launch of EDIT from command shell.

So so far, the first system a Pentium D 2.8Ghz with 1GB RAM and this Pentium 4 HT 3.0Ghz are crashing with EDIT from command shell.

The cool thing is that I have this 2nd computer the Pentium 4 connected to the internet and so I am able to post this post through Windows 10 beta 32 bit.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 12:06:43 AM »
I Don't know why you are getting that error. The only real difference between my system and those systems is the generational gap between a Pentium D/4 and a i7 4770K, which is pretty large.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.