Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: GT 650M - Bad FPS but just in one game?  (Read 4546 times)

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    GT 650M - Bad FPS but just in one game?
    « on: October 09, 2014, 01:43:13 PM »
    This issue occurs in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas in a multiplayer mod called San Andreas: Multiplayer (SA:MP)

First, let me preface this by saying that I have practically done everything I can think of to the game in terms of fixing this problem. I have played this game for probably close to 8 years now. I've learned a lot about what works and doesn't work so I ask you to look at possible options that are not game specific but more computer specific, as I can go through and handle changes to the game myself.

I used to have this problem where when I would play this game, if I went into rough spots where my FPS would normally drop, it would drop quite a bit and would not recover. It essentially "degraded" until the point where I couldn't go anywhere (even to a different city) without the FPS being really bad and the only way to fix it would be to relog (restart the program and reconnect to the server). This is not the problem anymore. I have managed to fix that issue but an issue still lingers. My FPS just isn't what it should be. I have a GT 650M with an i7 3632QM @ 2.2 GHz. Yeah, it's a laptop. Yeah, it's a mobile GPU. But I don't understand how a game made 10 years ago can run so poorly, and it didn't run this way like a year ago when I bought the laptop. This is something that's started, and I'm not sure what resolve.

[What I've tried]
    [GTA San Andreas related]
    - Reinstalled multiple times
    - Removed all mods
    - Set all settings down very low
    - Turned off the frame limiter
    - Moved the game directory

[PC Related]
    - Tried various compatibility modes (none works best for W8)
    - Set affinity to all cores and priority on high for the sa.exe process (helps a little)
    - Roughly 63c when the game is running on all cores
    - I always play with my laptop plugged in and on maximum performance mode

[GT 650M Related]
    - Modified GPU settings
    - Ensured that the Nvidia GPU is used for the game
    - Most recent drivers
    - Maxed around 81c when the game is running

[What I haven't tried]

- SA:MP has a multicore setting, it is currently on. Haven't tried turning it off
    - Reinstalling my OS (it didn't come with a copy of W8 and I have no OS' around, too broke to buy one)
    - ???

So let me tell you a story. A few months ago I had an issue where trying to play the game at all would cause me to have a bad framerate. It wasn't influenced by where I was in the game world, it was just that the game was not performing the way it should have been. I also couldn't watch YT videos, listen to music, and do one other thing (that I forgot). This was all resolved once I did a System Restore. However; this did not fix everything. Around that time, I noticed that often it would say my disk usage was 100% when I looked at my task manager. Now, I haven't been able to see it as often but I do recall seeing it recently. I think I saw it mostly after closing the game (presumably meaning that the game is making me use so much of my disk uncharacteristically? but thats up to you guys). But I can't confirm that because I can't replicate the problem and I don't have task manager open all the time. I try to check it and see what I can find but I can't always. I just figured I'd bring it up in case it happens to be relevant.

Windows 8 64 bit
    Intel i7 quadcore 3632QM @ 2.2GHz
    8 GB RAM
    Nvidia GT 650M

And heres a link to the laptop with more specifications: http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-V3-771G-9809-17-3-Inch-Laptop/dp/B009JXJWZI/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1412883580&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=acer+aspire+v3+7771g+9809

Does anyone have an ideas why the game may not be performing aswell as it should be on my laptop that is

1. Capable of handling the game
    2. Has had the game perform much better previously (when first bought)
    Doesn't need help as fast anymore ;)

MoffKalast

Rookie

• Nothing ever works, except when it does.
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: GT 650M - Bad FPS but just in one game?
      « Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 10:39:12 AM »
      I'm no expert but I'd say that you probably installed some sort of software that is running in the background and using your resources. This is a game that can run on a reasonably good android phone.