Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Driver interfering with Internet Speed  (Read 6025 times)

modrummer63

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Driver interfering with Internet Speed
    « on: November 15, 2014, 10:57:24 AM »
    Hello, new to this forum and forums in general so please bare with any mistakes I make.
    My relevant specs are as follows:
    -Lenovo G505s laptop.

-AMD Radeon HD 8650G

-Windows 8 64 bit

-AMD A10-570M APU

-Updated BIOS (Not tech savvy so I don't know where to pull up the info on it)

-Qualcomm Atheros AR8172/8176/8178 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30) (Version 2.1.0.15)

-Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter (Version
    10.0.0.242)

I have severely limited download speed on my laptop with both Wifi and Ethernet connections. I'd like to disperse the idea that this is caused by my router (Verizon fios) or ISP, as I share it with other family members who have no issues on their end. The average speed I SHOULD be getting is 30Mbps Wifi and 55 Mbps Ethernet, with around 20sh upload speed. What I am in fact getting is 0.5-4 wifi (Majority under 1), and 2.5-6 Mbps on Ethernet. I ran my computer in safe mode with networking to see what would happen, ran speedtest.net and found that my speed jumps way up to around 40 or something. Then I hooked up my Ethernet and was blown away with a 90Mbps download speed. I am aware this isn't what I'd get in normal mode if things worked out fine. I'd like to mention that I have updated my Network adapter, but this has not fixed the issue.

Around this point I've been doing a lot of forum surfing and found several people claiming that the issue originates from the AMD Catalyst Display Driver. This doesn't seem to make sense because that should have nothing to do with internet speed. But nonetheless, people have individually uninstalled all there AMD Catalyst Drivers one by one (Retesting their speed on speedtest.net), to see where the issue originated, and they all found it was caused by the Display Driver. I came to the Hope chat room asking for help on how to replace my display driver with a functioning one, because I'm not too tech savvy. I was brushed off (And eventually booted) b/c the people I spoke with refused to accept the validity of my problem, even when I provided a forum link (Which they didn't read). I will provide a link to the amd forums that discusses this very issue, and I would like to ask that if you choose to disbelieve my issue, to read the forum thread first before ignoring me. Please understand I am somewhat upset with what happened because I felt rejected before I even got to fully discuss my problem because it is something that seems impossible to the two people (Not saying names) at the moment.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=454&threadid=177891&enterthread=y

Now what I'd like to ask help for, and I appreciate any assistance, is what exactly is my AMD Catalyst Display Driver? Is it the Display Adapter listed in the Device Manager? Or is it something listed somewhere in the Catalyst Control Center (I can't seem to pull up any informative specs on the Control Center)? Where do I install a driver to replace this that ISN'T an AMD Catalyst Driver? Some people have said that using previous versions of said Driver hasn't fixed the problem, while it did for others.

Thanks for reading my issue, and I hope for some help.

EDIT: Here are some more links to threads discussing the issue I have. Its not impossible:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=393325
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1328306/catalyst-drivers-are-making-my-internet-really-slow
    http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/solved-6th-clean-install-slow-internet-speed-issue-868394.html
    « Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 11:35:09 AM by modrummer63 »

modrummer63

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Driver interfering with Internet Speed
      « Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 01:15:19 PM »
      So I decided to risk things and uninstall the AMD display driver, as well as other additives like AMD Quick stream (As was advised by one of the forum links I listed), and that did not fix the issue. I am at a complete loss of what to do.