Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unlisted Realtek Network Adapter Driver  (Read 12918 times)

Playcircus

Topic Starter

Rookie

Unlisted Realtek Network Adapter Driver
    « on: December 22, 2014, 07:34:34 PM »
    Right out of the box I've been having problems with this USB 2.0 Network Adapter: Realtek RTL8192EU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 network adapter from StarTech.com.

It isn't recognizing that the USB is plugged in. Naturally, I went out in search of a driver update, only to find that the product is not listed on the Realtek manufacturer's website. I know they are not reliable, but I downloaded a few highly rated automatic driver updaters and they all flagged the adapter as outdated, and they all recommended the same 2014 update.

I managed to install it, and it worked like a charm. After a large Windows update earlier today, it seems to have reverted back to the outdated driver that came with the disc, and my computer is failing to detect the USB again. I tried to download it again through the same program, but it keeps failing to download and gives no reason.

I'm puzzled because there seems to be hundreds of websites with these automatic driver updaters with the exact same update for my network adapter, but the Realtek website doesn't list the product at all.

I can't download the actual driver file because I can't find it, Realtek doesn't even acknowledge that the product exists, and the one program I found refuses to install the update again. I'm at a loss right now.

I am using Windows 8.1, and I did check to make sure it is compatible. I also emailed Realtek support, but have yet to receive a reply. Is there any advice anyone can give me on this issue?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Unlisted Realtek Network Adapter Driver
    « Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 11:33:39 PM »
    Windows 8.1 does a good job of finding drivers for Realtek devices.
    May I suggest you just get another adapter. You can now buy recent Realtek models for less than $20 from many sources. And they come with up to dare driver disc.

Playcircus

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 08:20:06 AM »
      Windows 8.1 does a good job of finding drivers for Realtek devices.
      May I suggest you just get another adapter. You can now buy recent Realtek models for less than $20 from many sources. And they come with up to dare driver disc.

I'm connected through a cable right now, so I'm not in need of an adapter, but I would like this wireless adapter to work properly.

I'm really curious about how these automatic driver updating programs work. There are many with the exact same update, yet there is no update to be found to download without the automatic updating programs. Where are they getting it from, and why do they all flag it with the same version of the driver for my product?

Shouldn't Realtek at least upload the version of the driver that is on the disc the adapter came with for download? What if your disc becomes lost or damaged? They have drivers for their other network adapters, but why do they not even list a product they manufacture? It's not that old.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 08:25:18 AM »
      Been Here ? ?

Dload is at the bottom of the page...

PS...in general...driver finder apps are all garbage.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 10:24:31 AM »
      Been Here ? ?

Patio is right. I am using an 'unknown' Relltek' USB Wireless right now on Windows 8.1 and a driver finder could not identify the device, but Windows 8.1 did find it. And it works good.
      BTW: The link Patio gave also  includes links to sires for the XP and Vista drivers, which are hard to find elsewhere. :)
      EDIT: I imagine your Teltek  USB adapter failed and that is why Windows 8.1 did not identify it. But I  like my Reltek and I ordered a  second one for $5 from eBay. At $5 a pop it is hard to find fault if most of them work most of the time.

Playcircus

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 11:30:05 AM »
        Been Here ? ?

Yes, none of those drivers are for Windows 8.

I'm sure you're right that the driver finder apps are risky and unreliable, but I'm wondering where they all get the updates from. They're pretty consistent about finding the same update, and when I managed to download it, it did fix my problem.

I can understand if they just flag drivers as outdated to scare you into buying their product, but when I installed that driver, another driver update utility recognized the adapter as being up-to-date.

I guess I'm asking if you wouldn't mind elaborating on the assertion that driver update utilities are "garbage". How do they work?

Patio is right. I am using an 'unknown' Relltek' USB Wireless right now on Windows 8.1 and a driver finder could not identify the device, but Windows 8.1 did find it. And it works good.
        BTW: The link Patio gave also  includes links to sires for the XP and Vista drivers, which are hard to find elsewhere. :)
        EDIT: I imagine your Teltek  USB adapter failed and that is why Windows 8.1 did not identify it. But I  like my Reltek and I ordered a  second one for $5 from eBay. At $5 a pop it is hard to find fault if most of them work most of the time.

Yeah, if I was thriftier and got it for five dollars I wouldn't mind spending another five bucks just to try again. Unfortunately, I'm just a novice when it comes to shopping for computer hardware. The one I bought had solid reviews on Amazon, so I felt comfortable with the price, but I already bought a new computer, and spending even five dollars more on it hurts for a frugal spender like me.

I suppose it's the principle of it as well. I figure there must be a solution, and I don't give up very easy.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 12:59:59 PM »
        Buy a new one...sometimes being frugal will cost you money...and aggravation.

kbit

Beginner

• Yes
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 05:58:19 PM »
         Here is a link to startech usb network adapter with the same realtek chipset and you can find a driver in the support tab .

http://ca.startech.com/Networking-IO/Wireless/mini-wireless-n-network-adapter~USB300WN2X2C

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 06:17:04 PM »
        He hasn't been back since before Christmas...