Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Migrating to a new HDD  (Read 3730 times)

Gen

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Migrating to a new HDD
    « on: March 12, 2015, 12:50:03 PM »
    Hello everyone, this is my first post and its because I am desperate.
    I am working on a computer that is a HP Pavilion Desktop, 8gb of RAM and a i7 CPU with 1TB of storage with a failing HDD. I was tasked with the job to basically clone or image the drive but i am unable to. I have tried to force clone it. I was sure to disable any security applications that may stop me from moving certain files as well. I've tried the Reflect software, Clonezilla, Windows XP imaging. 12 different methods with no luck. My methods were not working because the HDD is failing and has multiple bad sectors. Its not allowing me to create an image or clone it because of that reason. I ran CHKDSK and it seemed to not have done anything with the recovery of the bad sectors.

I wanted to know if theres some software or other way that I could basically copy the HDD to the new one. I've heard of large program movers like the famous Steam Mover that also is used for program movement however it does not support XP.

Simply put, i want to move everything to a new HDD with XP included.

Any help would be appreciated.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Migrating to a new HDD
    « Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 12:58:42 PM »
    The command "chkdsk" does nothing. The command "chkdsk /r" will test the drive and attempt to repair bad sectors or mark them as bad and relocate the data to good sectors. You can also download the diagnostic utility from the website of the hd manufacturer and try that.

Gen

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: Migrating to a new HDD
      « Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 01:02:03 PM »
      Right, I ran it in attempts to recover the bad data thats not allowing me to clone the drive.
      Ill try using the diagnostic utility for Hitachi.

Thanks