Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Display driver stopped responding and has recoverd  (Read 4072 times)

hybrid1961

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Display driver stopped responding and has recoverd
    « on: June 07, 2015, 05:22:10 PM »

I am having a problem that may have been answered many times in this forum, but I'm going to give it a shot anyway.

I am running an HP Compaq dc7700p sff with Vista with an Intel Core 2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86Ghz, 2 MB memory, 80 gig HD, with a Intel Q965/Q963 Express Chipset.  I keep getting the error message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered."  This started happening about 3 weeks ago, and happens mainly when I try to watch a movie from my hard drive on VLC.  Windows Media Player crashes if I try to play a movie on it.  It also occurs when playing YouTube and Netflix videos at full screen.
    The symptoms are as follows:  The video will freeze for a few seconds, the display will go black, the video comes back up digitized, it will begin playing again, then I 'll get the error message.

I have tried the following.

Running Microsoft Fixit (Seemed to work for a day, then back to the same old same old)

Manually checking the registry (all values are set as specified)

Closing all open programs (Firefox is the memory hog)

Uninstalling and reinstalling the display graphics driver (It's the most current).  Also ran the Intel Driver Utility Tool and it says I'm current.

Doing a clean install.

Adjusting performance options for best performance

Adjusting Visual Effects for best performance

Adjusting VLC for best performance

Have run memory diagnostics and everything seemed fine

Have the total page filing size for all drives set to recommended (Min. 16MB, Recommended 3045 MB, Currently allocated 2330 MB)

Run SuperAntiSpyware, CCleaner, MalwareBytes, AVG and Spybot (no help)

When I ran Xtremem Power Supply Calcllulator I got a minimum PSU wattage of 55 W and recommended PSU wattage of 105.

Run Windows Update (odd thing here:  SP1 will not install through update or manually no matter what I do after clean install.) I uninstalled/reinstalled SP1 yesterday.  Windows Update shows the installation in History, but not in Computer Properties.  I've also tried to install some programs like WeatherBug and I get a SP1 required message.

There are probably some other fix tries I've attempted, but have forgotten now.

I guess my question is: do I need to install a graphics card, and if so, what is compatible for this machine?  And should I install more memory (I think the 32 bit will hold 4 gigs of 1 gig sticks per slot?

If this is an old question, I apologize, but everything I have tried on other forums has not helped.