Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot connect Windows Phone to Windows Tablet with USB cable  (Read 5503 times)

Clayto2

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    Cannot connect Windows Phone to Windows Tablet with USB cable
    « on: August 09, 2015, 02:19:48 PM »
    I am trying to connect my new Lumia 435 Windows phone to my Windows 8.1 Tablet PC via the cable supplied with the phone. It is clearly connecting as the phone is charged from the USB port. The phone is supposed to appear as a USB external device, like a USB Flash Drive.  However, I cannot get the PC to detect the phone so I cannot transfer data between the two devices.

When connected with the USB cable the phone does not appear anywhere: in Devices, Portable Devices, Windows Explorer. The 'transfer my data' app says it cannot transfer.

I have read the Microsoft articles on connecting and syncing with USB / Bluetooth. I cannot find any solution to my problem. Can someone help with this?

Clayto2

hTconeM9user

Rookie
    • Took my username from my phone
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Cannot connect Windows Phone to Windows Tablet with USB cable
    « Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 03:12:52 PM »
    Have you tried this way start up blue tooth on the computer, then activate it on the phone and let them run on your computer/phone it should say pairing then a pin number should come up on both once that number comes up just press on both as save. you should find then that they are paired on mine it does not show up in devices.
    let me know please if that works
    Running windows 8.1 at moment all protect by McAfee Antivirus, CCleaner and 5 Auslogics products all paid for plus sticky password

Clayto2

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Cannot connect Windows Phone to Windows Tablet with USB cable
      « Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 01:26:53 AM »
      Thanks for the Bluetooth advice. However, I decided to try a new USB cable even though I was advised to use the one provided with the phone. The new cable worked fine and now the phone and tablet are communicating perfectly. Even the Windows Desktop Phone App sprang into life. So Microsoft / Lumia had supplied me with a dud cable.

I will follow the advice on Bluetooth in due course (if necessary) as I want that to work too, but am shortly to upgrade to Windows 10. I have noticed a 'drive error' (not driver) flash up when trying to pair Bluetooth.