Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Tunneling ethernet from my computer into my xbox  (Read 5398 times)

Roguebantha

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Tunneling ethernet from my computer into my xbox
« on: January 01, 2016, 11:24:58 PM »
So I have an odd thing I'm trying to do. I want to stream the internet from my computer from the computer's hardware ethernet port to the ethernet port of my Xbox. Almost as if the ethernet port on the back of my computer acts as a tiny, one-port router. I want to do this because I want to stream games from my Xbox to my computer which is all well and good except that my router is terrible for that sort of thing, and also rather far away. The idea is if I hook the Computer and Xbox directly together through an Ethernet cable, connection should be very much improved.

Anyone have any ideas?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
Re: Tunneling ethernet from my computer into my xbox
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 12:42:41 AM »
Why do you  reason this way?
Many routers are rated to do 100 Mbps from one device to another.
Video streaming is often less than 5 Mbps.
Maybe you are asking the wrong question.

There are a number of articles on how to send video from Xbox to PC.
 It does not require special hardware.

Roguebantha

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 01:19:54 AM »
Yes Geek but I'm not getting it. I can send video from Xbox to PC...it just looks like total crap because the router is far and connection is not fantastic. Sooooo I'm looking for another solution.

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 10:32:23 AM »
So Router to XBox is wifi and thats why connection is junk? Just run a Cat5 wire to XBox and Router.

You would need a Cross over cable to go direct from PC to XBox as well as you would need to have 2 network adapters in your computer. One to act as a gateway connection and the other to connect to internet.

Its far easier to just run a cable from XBox to Router and do away with wifi than it is to have your computer having to act like a router and PC at the same time. Additionally I havent played with 10 enough yet to test out if it even allows for ICS Internet Connection Sharing. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-internet-connection-sharing#1TC=windows-7

I havent messed with ICS since the days of Dial-up and Windows XP with 2 computers sharing a single 33.6k dial up connection so that 2 people could do college work at the same time at the cost of a single phone line and ISP plan before DSL and Cable Broadband was in my area and the copper lines were so crappy that they wouldnt sync at 56k. I dont miss those days back in 2002.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 01:56:30 PM »
Additionally I havent played with 10 enough yet to test out if it even allows for ICS Internet Connection Sharing. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/using-internet-connection-sharing#1TC=windows-7

I expect it is still present, but like many of the things in Windows 10, it probably takes twice as many clicks, Like connecting to a VPN.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.