Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer wont find updates  (Read 3275 times)

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Computer wont find updates
« on: January 23, 2016, 06:32:27 PM »
Greetings,
if you guys have looked in the driver section and the hardware section, youll know i got my hands on a nice Dell Percision T5400 machine.

Ive installed a clean copy of windows 7 Pro on the system, installed my Video driver and tried to start windows updates. It did the usual closing of the window, but after that it will not find any updates even after a few hours. whats going on? Its a Geniune copy of windows 7 pro 64 bit i installed from my USB made installed. Then i formatted and erased the drive thinking that was currupt and installed it from the disk and same issue.

Thanks

zep516

Rookie

Re: Computer wont find updates
    « Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 07:37:43 PM »
    Download & Run the  windows System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20858

See if that helps

Manners are the basis of a civilized society and make everyone's lives just a little happier. They cost nothing but they are worth so much

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 02:02:28 PM »
    Thank-you! after a while it found an update and triggered the first round of 200 updates. Do you know if this will work for computer thats already got some updates? my mom barely uses her computer, its an older ACer, however i try to get updates and it says it found them, but sits at the downloading 0% for hours and i want to get the updates in so i can update to 10 whislt i still can.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 02:25:04 PM »
    In just the past few months there have been users reporting slow Windows updates. And updates of up to 200 items are not so rare. You can google for:
    Very Slow Windows Updates.
    That will give you a list of of possible answers.

The link below seems to be the most comprehensive answer:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-are-windows-updates-so-slow-and-long-with/b785ff84-b00e-43b1-8628-40cdccb77aca
    Of course they know all this too but can't admit it since it makes their latest OSes look poor. Moving from a very simple and fast update mechanism that worked to a complex one that requires endless “configuring” and repair  is a product engineering defect.

Here is my personal suggestion. Sometime during the week leave your PC on overnight. Disable the hibernate nor sleep options. Perhaps in the wee hours of the morning the traffic will go down and the update will finish before your morning coffee.  :)

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 11:49:15 AM »
    Thanks for the help, both of you. This machine is sure making me work for it. But i know considering the hardware it has( 2 Quad Core Xeons X5450's) it worth it. The updates flew in despite my slow 5MBPS internet connection and the windows 10 icon has appeared.

Now i have to maybe go back to the hardware section, as the Video card (AMD 4580) isnt happy. It booted with striped on both my screens, but after a BSOD and a reboot its doing fine. I stressed it even playing GTA V on it. Hopefully its smooth sailing from here on out.