Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AMD FX 8350 VERY HOT  (Read 4317 times)

Thundersteak

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    AMD FX 8350 VERY HOT
    « on: February 01, 2016, 05:19:19 PM »
    So I upgraded my GPU and CPU but the stock AMD cooler was too loud and hot, so i upgraded my CPU cooler to this... https://www.google.com.au/search?q=GAMMAXX+200&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiQhono5tfKAhUiXqYKHVWhDOgQ_AUIBygB&biw=1920&bih=971

Now... It's perfectly quite! But far too hot whilst gaming, even for 1 minute of game time it gets like over 55c to 67c and i can feel a crap load of heat coming from the top of the case.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: AMD FX 8350 VERY HOT
    « Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 05:24:38 PM »
    I would look up the operating temp ranges for that CPU...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 04:21:02 AM »
    Are you sure the heatsink is mounted properly?
    Was there a plastic cover on the bottom, if so did you make sure you removed it?  Easy mistake to make.
    FYI, the amount of heat coming out of the case will have nothing to do with the CPU temperature.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 02:55:06 PM »
    I have this same FX-8350 and am running the stock cooler that came with it. My motherboard doesnt utilize the Turbo to 4200 Mhz so my CPU always runs at 4000 Mhz when its full bore. I have Cool n Quiet enabled and so it will idle at 1400Mhz. Max temp I have gotten my FX-8350 to with stock cooler at 4000Mhz running CPU benchmarks to stress test it was 53C in a room that was 70F.

Are you overclocking this CPU at all?

Have you run your system with side cover off to see if temps drop down to a max of around 55C?

As others mentioned making sure heatsink is applied correctly is important, and old thermal compound removed before new heatsink and compound applied. New heatsink may or may not have come with already existing thermal paste on it. You cant just mate a CPU to bare heatsink surface without thermal compound or else it will run very hot due to poor thermal conductance.

Totalreformer

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 11:45:13 AM »
    So I upgraded my GPU and CPU but the stock AMD cooler was too loud and hot, so i upgraded my CPU cooler to this... https://www.google.com.au/search?q=GAMMAXX+200&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiQhono5tfKAhUiXqYKHVWhDOgQ_AUIBygB&biw=1920&bih=971

Now... It's perfectly quite! But far too hot whilst gaming, even for 1 minute of game time it gets like over 55c to 67c and i can feel a crap load of heat coming from the top of the case.

What temp are you reading? Core temp or just the temp from the cpu (asus suit programs tend to add about 10c on top of core temps making it hard to evaluate)

I had Air cooling for my Amd Fx-8350 but even on stock cooling it was hot, and hotter with turbo activated, about 59c. I changed to liquid cooling since air cooling is a bit underwhelming for this processor. But of course make sure the fan is directed towards the exhaust flow of your chassi. Try also to read with Open Hardware monitor or any program that can clarify that the CPU cooling fan works at maximum frequency when temperatures going hot.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 02:41:09 PM »
    Interesting.... This is answered to exactly 1 year from its start.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 04:09:41 PM »
    The Topic necromancers show up in February...

Just before the Capistrano Swallows...

Totalreformer

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 01:35:07 PM »
    Interesting.... This is answered to exactly 1 year from its start.
    And i thought i replied to a fresh thread, darn. xD

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 05:23:14 PM »
    The Topic necromancers show up in February...

Just before the Capistrano Swallows...