Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem installing new software  (Read 2731 times)

glee

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Problem installing new software
    « on: March 21, 2016, 12:35:28 AM »
    Hi all.  I downloaded a program from Fitbit but it won't execute and start the installation on my Win 7 desktop pc.  I was successful installing it on my Win 7 laptop.  So I figured it must be something wrong with my desktop.  However, as a test, I  downloaded another unrelated program and was able to install it.   Antivirus was turned off.  Any ideas? Thanks.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Problem installing new software
    « Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 10:27:32 AM »
    So you double-click to start the installation and it just ignores you or does it act like its going to start but doesnt or any messages?

Make/Model of computer as well as if you know if this system had malware or virus removed from it in past would be beneficial to troubleshooting.

glee

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 08:43:48 PM »
      When I click on the installation file, I get the usual popup asking me to confirm that I want this program to make changes to my computer.  After answering yes, a circle spins for about 2 seconds then nothing else happens.   What really puzzles me is that I can install other unrelated software I just downloaded as a test.  So my thinking is that it is not my hardware.  Also, because I can install it on my laptop, it isn't the software. 

I have a Dell Studio XPS 9100, 8 GB RAM, i7 running Win 7, MS Security Essentials (but I have tried turning it off while installing) and MS Defender.   

glee

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 09:04:02 PM »
        I forgot to answer the question about the virus.  So I just checked the History tab of my MS Security Essentials and there is a Trojan called Win32/Gatrid.E!cl that is quarantined.  Could that be the cause? It shouldn't matter should it since it is quarantined?

glee

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 09:17:28 PM »
          Problem solved.  Someone suggested I create a clean profile and install from it and it works.

DaveLembke

Sage
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 08:53:02 AM »
          Good to see your fixed. Malware can cause problems with profiles, so I am thinking you had a virus or malware that made changes to corrupt the profile before it was caught and quarantined. Creating a fresh profile usually starts you off fresh.  You should be all set, however I'd copy over any important data from desktop or my documents and use the new profile now and delete the old or no longer use the old profile.