Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Legacy Driver causes freezing  (Read 4984 times)

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Legacy Driver causes freezing
« on: March 26, 2016, 11:50:45 PM »
Hey guys.
Its late and im tired and else where. Anyways. im trying to install an ATI driver for a ATI RAGE PRO Turbo 8mb AGP. I downloaded the driver from this page:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/archive/legacy-98me
under the Rage Pro subtitle and when trying to install it, it causes my system running 98SE to freeze up. Im assuming its the wrong Drive. Can someone point me in the proper direction? i believe its the correct one for my card.. I need for 98SE and for 2000. Thanks

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Legacy Driver causes freezing
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 06:21:18 AM »
I was going to suggest the Rage XL driver, but from the looks of it its the same file as the Pro. I have a Rage 128 PCI adapter that is 8MB that I needed a driver to work with Windows 2000 Server and the XL driver worked for the Rage 128 GPU. The Rage 128 driver although should work with Windows 2000 Server errored out on me on install.

With Rage 128 driver version: 4.13.7192 and the Rage XL version: 4.13.2655 I believe I was using an older driver to get the Windows 2000 Server driver support to work.

Might be apples to oranges because your using 98 and I was using 2000, but I think if its truly only a driver issue, going with an older driver version might fix this like it did for me.

I would try using an older version maybe. You used 4.13.2655 and try a driver such as 4.12.7942 or 4.11.2579 and see if you get better results. Because its the same family of GPU and very close in release, it shouldnt impact the performance much. There might be a slight degradation in shader support for using an older driver, but it might fix the stability issue.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 03:21:08 PM »
Windows 98 and Windows 2000 include drivers for the ATI Rage Pro Turbo. (they are tagged as XPERT@WORK and XPERT@PLAY if I recall).

It sounds like it may be a problem with the AGP Slot or AGP support on the system; it's a 3.3v card so a system that only supports 1.5v cards will probably hang.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 10:00:22 PM »
Windows 98 and Windows 2000 include drivers for the ATI Rage Pro Turbo. (they are tagged as XPERT@WORK and XPERT@PLAY if I recall).

It sounds like it may be a problem with the AGP Slot or AGP support on the system; it's a 3.3v card so a system that only supports 1.5v cards will probably hang.

They do. But gaming performance is horrible. I have a beat to heck IBM thinkpad that has a worse GPU, a ATI rage mobility 4mb and it plays GTA 2 perfectly while this card struggles with the game. So i thought to get a better driver. however for some reason booting windows the card isnt recognized by windows and it doesnt fill a driver in for it like it used to.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 03:02:52 AM »
I had an ATI Rage Pro Turbo for nearly a decade; It ran that game fine (well, as good as could be expected). I didn't have an internet connection so it must have been the default driver.

Given that it isn't recognized accurately it could be an issue either with the AGP support of the motherboard or the card itself may have failed.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 09:14:14 AM »
Alright, well when i get the chance, i also have an Abit motherboard i will a shot. Perhaps the ASus p2-66 is giving it up or the card is.