Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Create a single iso containing Windows PE 32/64 bit  (Read 6218 times)

balubeto

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Create a single iso containing Windows PE 32/64 bit
    « on: April 15, 2016, 04:26:41 AM »
    Hi

I would like to know how the manual procedure to create a single iso of Windows PE 10.x 32/64 bit using only Windows ADK 10 v1511.

Logically this iso should work properly with the computers with the BIOS or UEFI firmware.

Thanks

Bye
    balubeto

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: Create a single iso containing Windows PE 32/64 bit
    « Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 02:06:02 PM »
    Not sure what you're after...Win PE will only work on systems designed for it.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 11:21:20 AM »
    You might need Yumi. I came across it a few years ago when working with a Hak5 episodes content with a USB Hacksaw project. http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

It gives you a menu of choices of boot environments that you squeeze onto a single USB stick.

Also as patio stated the Bart PE will only work with systems designed for it. Such as I believe if you made one with an AMD CPU system and then bring that to an INTEL cpu system you might run into issues because the build was meant to interface with the AMD core and not INTEL core technology. Same thing happens when you swap out a motherboard in a system that motherboard fried and swap from AMD to Intel you usually end up in a BSOD crash boot loop with the hard drive built from the prior INTEL build and now you have a AMD CPU, yet if you swapped motherboards and stuck with INTEL it might boot, but then have to rediscover and install drivers for new sound card and so on and might get lucky and not break windows activation although most of the time the HAL gets broken and requires key reactivation from drastic change.

Bart PE is generally created at one computer for use at that computer... although I have seen people use them on other systems in which they may or may not work due to hardware differences.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 12:33:21 PM »
    Not sure BartPE is relevant here, OP is talking about the standard Windows PE environment - this is what you see when booting from a Windows DVD or USB stick, it's a minimal environment to get the OS installed.  It's also freely available in the various AIKs and isn't hardware-specific - if it was, you'd need a different Windows install DVD/USB for every kind of machine.

balubeto, could I ask what the purpose of this is?  I don't know how to do it off the top of my head, closest I've come across in my wanderings was someone who wanted to be able to PXE boot from a 32-bit PE image if the CPU wasn't 64-bit capable, and a 64-bit image if it was - this was while doing seemingly unending research for Windows Deployment Services.  I seem to remember that there was a way to do this but it seemed unnecessarily complicated, to my mind if his issue was deploying to machines which weren't 64-bit capable then, well, for one they're probably too old to bother with, but most of all, just use the 32-bit image because the 64-bit boot image provides basically no advantages, a 32-bit WinPE image can be used to install a 64-bit OS.  Heck, you can even use a WinPE 10 image to install Windows 7, go wild.

So, sorry for getting slightly off topic, I'm just curious really as to what this is for as it sounds interesting.  I'm not sure if it's possible but, depending what it's for, there may be an easier way to accomplish this.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 02:25:55 PM »
    Calum, You made good points.
    It may be more work that it is worht.

How about a hardware solution?
    A custom USB stick that can be inserted two ways.
    One way is 32 bit, ant the other  be 64 bit.
    Should be easy.  :)

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 02:34:11 PM »
    Bart PE .. Win PE .....thanks for correcting.... coworker was talking to me when reading and I misread.  ;D

How about a hardware solution?
    A custom USB stick that can be inserted two ways.
    One way is 32 bit, ant the other  be 64 bit.
    Should be easy.  :)

Break out the duct tape  ;D

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 05:44:45 PM »
    We will officaly know nothing til he replies...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 03:55:39 AM »
    Bart PE .. Win PE .....thanks for correcting.... coworker was talking to me when reading and I misread.  ;D

No worries, it's easy to get confused between them.  I've been doing a lot with WinPE recently which is why I thought I'd reply and clarify what it's for.