Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HACKED ???  (Read 3394 times)

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
    • Experience: Beginner
    HACKED ???
    « on: May 09, 2016, 05:39:08 AM »
    Hi there! I believe that I have been hacked in some way. Nothing major I hope, but my register is affected in some way although it is not giving any trouble??

A couple of days ago, I suddenly found that I had no access to my STEAM account. I still don't and I have not been able to no matter what! I have had to open a new account! The rescue system on Steam hasn't worked for me. I have had to send a snail mail that might not get there!

I have re-installed Windows 7 but my registry is not the same as it was! I have found a directory in there that I can't open??? Tried to post image???

Anyone know a good reg repairer???

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
      Re: HACKED ???
      « Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 12:45:10 AM »
      I have ended up with a corrupted Registry guys.    Anyone know of a treatment plz???? ???

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 02:51:11 AM »
      It's unclear to me how you decided that being unable to access your Steam account indicates that your registry is corrupted.

Being unable to access a registry key is not particularly useful information unless you happen to have the location and name of that key. Many registry keys are only accessible to the LocalSystem account.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
        « Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 08:39:04 AM »
        I discovered this whilst endeavouring to recover my Steam account.  Whilst seeking to find our what was happening.   ::)

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
          « Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 05:08:20 AM »
          Well fella's it sure was great you giving me all this help!   I am absolutely knocked out buy your response here! lol  Now I know that you guys 'aint a bad bunch a'fellas really ... so what's up then????   ::) ::) ::)

DaveLembke

Sage
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 08:40:08 AM »
          Sorry your call for assistance fell off the radar. Doesnt normally happen but happens occasionally. We are all volunteers here and occasionally we take leave. I just got back myself after over a week away for example etc. I may start helping people myself at times and then get busy irl and not get back to something until a few days or a week or so myself.

My suggestion for any computer that was hacked or suspected of being hacked is to wipe it clean and start fresh vs trying to pinpoint what a hacker may have changed to undo it. Years ago I use to run honeypots for fun on systems that were pre-windows OS flashable BIOS ( Celeron 500Mhz running Windows 2000), to see what tools hackers used etc,...... and to go in and try to undo most of it would be a great waste of time. *Modern systems are at risk of BIOS bricking due to the ease of flashing a BIOS with junk BIOS while Windows is running, so I no longer run honey pots as for now hackers can kill motherboards if that is their intent. Its rare for a hacker to kill off a system this way but it happened to a friend of mine. His BIOS got flashed and he didnt do it and the motherboard was useless.

I had an image of my honey pot system that allowed me to wipe it clean back to an "intentionally vulnerable state" for the next hacker to probe and find and work their magic on and leave behind a trail of tools used and what they attacked etc. One hacker caught on to my honeypot and left a humorous text file on the desktop for me to find which was fun.

I'd wipe the system clean and install clean. Then install an up to date antivirus and run that and then you should be all set. Any external hard drives thumb drives or other media that was created with this system prior should be virus scanned etc to make sure no trojans remain etc.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 09:23:22 AM »
          Another possible reason for the lack of response is not many here recommend "registry cleaning" of any sort here...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 01:06:51 PM »
          Well fella's it sure was great you giving me all this help!   I am absolutely knocked out buy your response here! lol  Now I know that you guys 'aint a bad bunch a'fellas really ... so what's up then????   ::) ::) ::)

A "corrupted registry" would prevent your system from booting. Registry Cleaners are a waste of time and cause more problems than they solve.

You're basically walking into the doctors office and saying "I've been throwing up a lot, I think I have anthrax!, can you recommend some chemo?" and wondering why nobody is recommending chemo. (The analogy breaks down I suppose in that chemotherapy actually has a long-term positive effect in many cases)
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
            « Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 02:03:22 AM »
            OK guys I get the picture!  :-X  When I say my Registry is corrupted, I mean that my normal access to is now denied.  I can enter it, but I can no longer edit it???   Now I know what you all are going to say and I DON''T mess with my registry at all!  I know what I am doing when I do edit, but by and large, I leave my Reg well alone!.  However keys that I know I can change ( or could), I now can't!  :( :(  This worries me, hence my post.

I am Win7 64 and have had the recent problem of losing my Steam account to some *censored* who is going around taking them from folk, so I am scouting for other problems as well.  >:(

GLOOPS

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• NOPAIN - NO GAIN
              « Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 06:18:09 AM »
              http://www.eset.co.uk/Antivirus-Utilities/Online-Scanner  Try this scanner guys it is a good one!