Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Overseas phone  (Read 2480 times)

Gypsy_Joker

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • "Maths"- If it seems easy than your doing it wrong
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Overseas phone
« on: June 14, 2016, 05:39:38 PM »
Hi, i live in Australia and bought a phone from eBay and it came from over seas, and the battery just drains even while nothing is open and is sleeping i heard that buying phones from over seas is bad for the battery because of the carrier e.g. im on telstra, and the phone might be designed for some other foreign carrier, and they say that this will drain the battery, because of compatibility or something. does anybody know if this is true? its a Samsung galaxy note 4 it is relatively new so maybe it just hasn't been worn in yet i don't know,
Me fail English that's unpossible! "Ralph Wiggum"

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Overseas phone
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 06:01:18 PM »
No...the carrier has absolutely nothing to do with battery life.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Gypsy_Joker

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 06:18:21 PM »
do batteries need "wearing in"? is it normal for them to go flat really quickly when they are new? if they do then that's good, :)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 06:38:50 PM »
Some  things you hear about batteries are Urban Legends.

Tips and Myths About Extending Smartphone Battery Life
Many consumers can relate. Despite the leaps forward in mobile phone technology with crisp, clear screens and faster chips, batteries have made only sluggish progress. That has propelled a desire for longer battery life to the top of the list of factors considered by consumers when they purchase smartphones, according to a 2014 survey by the research firm IDC.
A good phone with a full battery should last over 8 hours in standby. But, it can vary a lot.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 07:06:08 PM »
Seeing how the phone is used it's tuff for us to say if it's the battery...or the charge cord...or the phone itself.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Gypsy_Joker

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 10:11:44 PM »
i want to think its the battery,because i have used different cable, and a battery is fairly cheap to replace. i also read through that post and changed a few settings, its slowed down but its still draining far to much in sleep mode

Gypsy_Joker

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 10:28:51 PM »
its was charging all night, in the morning at 7AM i unplugged it 100%, watched some you tube for 20 mins that only took it down to 94% which is reasonable for 1080P video watching (WIFI) then at 7:30AM i left the house and it went straight to 3g i turned it on at 8AM and noticed it was on 80% for no reason the i just assumed it was mobile data so i turned that off but it something was still using it... and i haven't even used it all day just sitting in my pocket no 3g its currently on 28% at 1:50PM, i checked the settings in the battery usage and it says screen and mail used 4% each, which really doesn't add up. and i dont have any apps running in the background, while idling in sleep mode the battery isn't stone cold or really hot, its just room temperature. it seems like it was only going down when it was off wifi, do these phones just sit there and search for wifi signals all day?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 12:07:41 AM »
Gypsy_Joker, did you read the link I gave above?
They did a lot of research into the problem and found that it is not easy to estimate battery use by just simple observation. The is not single thing the draws a lot of power, The system has been optimized by the maker for best overall performance.

The article does mention that the battery meter is not very accurate. The resewn for this has been well documented elsewhere, but it is not the kind of thing that most of us want to read. Simply stated, the battery meter is a "open loop" measurement of a non-liner device. Which is geek for hard to do.

But for those who have insomnia, here it is:
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v407/n6803/full/407496a0.html
Nano-sized transition-metal oxides as negative-electrode materials for lithium-ion batteries
Sorry, the full article you have to pay for.
Bur this is similar:
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.524.3821&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Also, you can Google for:
How to measure capacity of a Lithium-ion battery

That is the best I can do for you.  :)