Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Build Support  (Read 2443 times)

Mulshine

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Computer Build Support
    « on: July 25, 2016, 03:17:35 PM »
    Hello, I am new to the site and I am looking for assistance on upgrading my PC.

I know little on the actual mechanics involved when making decisions on what to or not to upgrade.

I wanted to come here and see if someone could help me decide what is needed for me to get my computer up to where I want it to be.

Of course with least amount of money needing to be spent!

I want to buy the new GTX 1070 but, I am not sure if I can get away with just buying that and not upgrading the rest of my rig.

My video card went out that I originally had so now I have a replacement in there for the time being.

Parts go as listed:

*CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 @ 3.30 GHz
             Max TDP: 65.0 W
             Technology: 32 nm
             Core Voltage: 0.960 V

*Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd.
                           Model: B75M-D3H

*Memory: DDR3 (4 GBytes [I will be upgrading to 8 if not 16])

Please let me know any information you may need or anything I could do to help out!

Thank you,
                      Mulshine

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer Build Support
    « Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 11:22:11 AM »
    Your Video Card upgrade depends on if it will fit the internal dimensions of your case, if you have a power supply that supports the power demands of the video card and has the proper 12V molex connections.

What games will you be running? so we get the whole picture of what you need for processing CPU/GPU power and RAM. The Core i3 might be plenty or a bottleneck depending on what your planning on running. A Core i5 would be a better start for a gaming rig with a powerful GPU, however the i3 might be enough depending on what game you plan to run.

If this is a off the shelf computer such as a DELL, HP, etc please supply the Make/Model# ... if this is a custom built computer please provide all specs including internal case dimensions or case make/model used to look up dimensions as well as power supply make/model which will show if its a good quality trusted power supply or one that should be swapped out as well as if its heavy enough to carry the load.

You mention you have a replacement video card in there now... what are you running as your replacement temporary solution?

You also want to get by as cheap as possible... what is your budget?