Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: making win10's snippingtool snip ready  (Read 4217 times)

Sebastian42

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Experienced
making win10's snippingtool snip ready
« on: August 08, 2016, 09:52:53 AM »
In Win7, one just needed to click on Snippintool to make its functionality available. The one in Win10 needs to have NEW clicked before 'image' selection can be made. I am aware that MS deliberately removed that convenience - for their own good (?) reasons. However, in my use of that tool, I find the extra step an irritation - hopefully avoidable. Someone in cyberspace has claimed that it's OK, because you can just launch Snippingtool, and after that all you need to do click on NEW for the functionality. I have not been able to keep Snippingtool open and ready to accept a click on NEW - so one way my fantasy can be realised is if someone tells me how to KEEP Snippingtool open. The other, is a line of code to emulate clicking on NEW, that I can add to the batchfile which would launch snippingtool. Hope some one can help in one of those two ways.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: making win10's snippingtool snip ready
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 09:54:53 AM »
Ctrl + prtscrn launches it...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Sebastian42

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 10:11:59 AM »
For me CTRL Printscreen just takes a snap of the entire screen (and so do SHIFT Printcsreen and ALT Printscreen) - missing the desired SELECTABILITY/SELECTIVITY that Snipping tool offers. Luckily two other helpers have combined to give me a powershellscript which does exactly what I want.  I'm happy to post that here if requested.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 11:28:35 AM »
In Win7, one just needed to click on Snippintool to make its functionality available. The one in Win10 needs to have NEW clicked before 'image' selection can be made.
I see no difference whatsoever between the Snipping Tool on Windows 7 and on Windows 10.  With both OS, New needs to be clicked to capture an image. 

Folks who use Snipping Tool often can simply pin it to the taskbar. 

Edit: Why was this posted in the Windows XP section?

Sebastian42

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 05:07:55 PM »
Firstly - apologies for posting in the wrong section.
Secondly - I used snippingtool a lot in Win7, so noticed the difference immediately after my upgrade to Win10.
Thirdly - Pinning Snippingtool to the task bar does NOT obviate the need to then click on NEW after launching it
the former being the step the I hoped to eliminate by some clever technique.

As it turns out, some clever people have realised my dream, by giving me a Powershell script which does exactly what I fantasised about.
If requested, I will post the script here.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 06:03:52 PM »
I see no difference whatsoever between the Snipping Tool on Windows 7 and on Windows 10.  With both OS, New needs to be clicked to capture an image. 

The Windows Vista/7 version acts as if "New" was clicked immediately after it was launched, ready for an area to be chosen. Windows 8 and later change this to require pressing new.

This change, introduced to Windows 8, was explained by Channel9/MS here. Allegedly it was changed based on "Customer Feedback".

The "workaround" that tends to be provided involve powershell or other scripts which start the snipping tool, set focus to it, and basically automatically invoke a new rectangular snip.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.