Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HTC Nexus Sailfish with CPU-Z  (Read 3591 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
HTC Nexus Sailfish with CPU-Z
« on: August 14, 2016, 09:18:50 PM »
Full title is:
HTC Nexus Sailfish Surfaces On CPU-Z With Snapdragon 821 As Its Processor
Read more: http://wccftech.com/htc-nexus-sailfish-snapdragon-821/#ixzz4HMpCQ6uw

Other site:
http://htc.hdblog.it/2016/08/12/nexus-sailfish-snapdragon-821/
Per il momento si sono sentite indiscrezioni che si possono ritenere affidabili da entrambe le parti - le ultime, provenienti dalle due famose piattaforme di benchmark GFXBench e AnTuTu, sembrano propendere per S820. Oggi, tuttavia, i colleghi di Android Police riportano una parte di un presunto screenshot di CPU-Z apparentemente installato su Nexus Sailfish, in cui si vede chiaramente che il SoC è Snapdragon 821 (MSM8996pro).

NOTE: Here CPU-Z is not the software from Cpuid.com freeware site.
http://www.cpuid.com/
Really,  the Italian article makes clear that a android  version of CPU-Z was used to ID the CPU as a Snapdragon chip in the phone.   :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 09:34:26 PM by Geek-9pm »

DaveLembke

Sage
Re: HTC Nexus Sailfish with CPU-Z
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 07:37:01 AM »
According to the source of this image, benchmark apps can not tell the difference between the MSM8996 and the MSM8996pro. This has been the root of all confusion surrounding this year’s Nexus lineup’s processor.

My LG has the snapdragon processor in it and the Qualcomm 400 MSM8926 1.2Ghz and they make this same CPU under the Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 in both 2 and 4 core. I was looking into mine to see if it was a 4 core crippled intentionally to 2 cores, but its not.

I use CPU-Z on my LG and its interesting that running CPU-Z it will show the cores running at 300Mhz to 1200Mhz and then when all is idle it claims both cores CPU 0 and CPU 1 are STOPPED. Not quite sure how a CPU can just stop and still be responsive to touch to launch apps and exit out of the CPU-Z. To me a stopped CPU with no cores running would be a system that is no longer functional. No longer able to sense through a feedback loop or a trigger to perform some other action. So the CPU-Z info it displays is interesting at the least. Maybe there is a sub-processor that is in the digitizer and button interface that stops the CPU clock, but runs on the side and when action to take is sensed it starts the clock to the Dual-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 400. Otherwise it makes absolutely no sense how a CPU can be stopped for all cores and still responsive to user interaction.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 11:30:59 AM »
Otherwise it makes absolutely no sense how a CPU can be stopped for all cores and still responsive to user interaction.
That is logical. However....
A CPU might not be a SCS. ( Single Chip Stem.)
Reference:
Architecture Based on Single-Chip Multiprocessing

In a typical PC or even a smartphone, other chips can interrupt the CPU and start it to cycle at its normal speed. Also, a CPU can be is a halted state and  yet still refresh dynamic elements inside the chip. The refresh rates to keep  the chip alive is very low, measured in kilocycles and not megacycles.

This can be a topic unto itself. A CPU doing only internal refresh is not doing any processing. Look up the HALT instruction for many common CPU types.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3747847/how-to-completely-suspend-the-processor
During the halt, there is no advance of the program counter, no loop and no counting. The CPU is dead in the water. But it does not sink under the waves.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 12:25:28 PM »
HALT is interesting in the context of Windows as well, as many criticized Windows 95 for not using the HLT instruction to save power on laptop systems. which is an interesting story.

For CPU-Z on smartphones, my Nexus 6 has a 4-core Qualcomm 805 (apparently). if I leave it sitting, then it will drop to 300Mhz, but I can't get anything to show "STOPPED". If it did I'd imagine it is as Geek-9pm describes- the CPU is effectively on "standby" waiting for an interrupt from one of the various input devices.

I was actually more interested in the variety of accelerometers, magnetometers, barometers, light sensors, gyroscopes, rotation vectors, etc. on the "sensors" tab. One of them seems to even show the "Active" force on the phone- which at rest shows 9.8m/s squared as one would expect. I wonder if the variety of sensors may itself be keeping the CPU Cores from "Stopping".

All this for what has amounted to an overpriced alarm clock.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 12:41:00 PM »
For benefit  pf latecomers....
CPU-Z is an application that has been ported to a number of Operating Systems. It shows a nice table of the specs of a device, such as a Desktop, Laptop or Smartphone. It even includes information about what processor is used.

In the lead  story, it was used to determine that a new HTC Smartphone was using a very new processor. Possibly the app, CPU-Z, could be wrong g. So the authors of the rumor had to site CPU-Z as the source of information to protect themselves.

The speculation is the new version of the  HTC Nexus will have better performance and a more responsive display.  But that has not been verified.

Still, this has lead to some other questions about CPU-Z Google it and find  where others doubt the veracity of the CPU-Z reports.
Here is one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLUIxybrOBk