Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New to PCs: Black Screen with No Cursor - I tried everything (?)  (Read 3090 times)

jt33murray

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Hello. I'm new to Windows (former Mac user). I have an MSI GT72 DOMINATOR PRO-211 laptop (specs below) running Windows 10. When I tried to wake it from sleep yesterday, I got a black screen with no cursor. When I restarted, same result. After 2 minutes, the fans start running loudly.

(The "GPU" button lights up, which I never noticed before. I don't understand it well, but apparently it is for selecting discrete GPU or UMA GPU mode. Glows when discrete GPU mode is selected. Tried using the button. No good.)

I researched and tried the following solutions, with no positive results:

1) Removing all devices and restarting (Failed)
      -No beeps or sounds. Just black

2) Connecting to an external monitor [TV] (Failed)

3) Booting in Safe Mode (Failed):
      -Holding Shift when turning off
      -(or) Esc + Power to restart
      -(or) Shift + Power
      -(or) Windows Key + Power
      -(or) F2 + Power
      -(or) F8 + Power (apparently won't work with SSD(?))
      -(or) Shift + F8 + Power

4) Power Cycling (Failed)
    The battery in my laptop cannot be removed. I did, however, disconnect it from the power plug, and pressed the pinhole "Battery Reset" button underneath.

5) Blind Login (Failed)
    I do not have a password set, so I tried the following in case the login screen was simply hidden.
      -Ctrl and Enter
      -Space and Enter
      -Alt and Enter

6) Boot from USB (Failed)
    I downloaded Windows 10 Disc Image to put on a USB stick. However, my only other computer is a Mac (10.6.8). The OS is older, so this version of Boot Camp Assistant doesn't give me an option to create a bootable USB.

I'm out of options and know-how (and patience). Please let me know what else I can do. Thanks!

Intel Core i7-4710HQ (2.5GHz, 6MB Cache)
    16GB DDR3L 1600 MHz
    1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive, 128GB M.2 Solid-State Drive
    17.3-inch
    NVIDIA Geforce GTX980M with 8GB GDDR5 VRAM

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: New to PCs: Black Screen with No Cursor - I tried everything (?)
    « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 01:00:47 PM »
    Is this computer still covered by warranty?   MSI's are known for their issues unfortunately.  :-\

If covered by a warranty I would use that warranty without doing anything that would void it.

jt33murray

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: New to PCs: Black Screen with No Cursor - I tried everything (?)
      « Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 06:42:46 PM »
      Thanks for your reply.
      I bought it in December, so it should be under warranty. I bought it in America and live in Japan, though, so that might get complicated. Hoping to explore other options first.