Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Screen Freezing, Processes Still Running  (Read 2570 times)

PolishedFruit

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Screen Freezing, Processes Still Running
    « on: September 10, 2016, 03:28:06 PM »
    So, I have had several computers and have learned that every now and then, a computer will freeze. I've been able to solve just about every issue I have had with all of my computers but I just can't find the loose screw here. I just got a brand new laptop (a very powerful one in order to run the programs I will need for my education) and it puzzles me why I'm having this problem. Here is a link if you want to see the specs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N83WF8432

The issue I'm having is on random occasions, my screen will decide to freeze. But all processes are still running. For example, it will freeze and I can open the start menu, close windows, launch an application, and one time it happened in the middle of me doing a scan for outdated software; and surely enough, when the screen decides to come back to life everything I clicked appears to have already been done and my scan jumped all the way to where it normally would have been during the time the screen was frozen. This will last anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds and none of my hardware is receiving any kind of stress. I've also checked for viruses and malware manually and with antivirus software. Unsurprisingly there were none found (I'm very careful on the internet and I haven't had the computer long). Normally it happens after I click practically anything performing even the simplest tasks such as closing a tab on my browser. It isn't a regular occurrence either. Sometimes I go without this issue for more than a week, but other times it will happen back to back or a couple times a day. Otherwise the computer runs very smoothly and can handle practically anything I throw at it, it's just on these rare occurrences I lose it. Please help. Thank you.

Also, I am running Windows 10.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Screen Freezing, Processes Still Running
    « Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 05:46:42 AM »
    If covered by warranty, I'd use warranty to get it fixed under that, however it shows that it came with 8.1 and you upgraded to 10 and so the PC manufacturer would probably claim its not their problem because its Microsoft as the cause.

Windows 10 has been buggy. It could be a hardware issue but if the problem wasnt happening on 8.1 but became a problem after 10 upgrade then I'd say there is some sort of issue with 10 running on that laptop.

Are there any hints as to cause of the issue in the system event logs of windows?

Are you able to roll back to 8.1 and run it for a while on 8.1 to see if the problem goes away and then roll it back forward to 10 to see if the problems come back. For the fact that the issue is infrequent it will likely take a while to solve this one, but steps can be made to try to isolate the cause.

Additionally each time it happens, write down what software was running. Maybe there is a issue with a specific combination of programs running that lead to this.

PolishedFruit

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 12:13:41 PM »
      Yeah, I actually bought it a couple days before the free Windows 10 upgrade anniversary ended so I wouldn't have to pay a ton for it. Anyways, the problem DID come after I upgraded to Windows 10, but probably 5 weeks after and it was kind of the first thing I did so it's hard to tell. Honestly I wouldn't think it's a Windows 10 issue. Also no, I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary in the even logs. I could roll back to 8.1 but then I'd be losing a LOT of information and programs I've already put on this pc. And I know I could use an external hard drive but it's a hassle I'd rather not deal with if there's another way. I will start to write down what programs are running when I notice it though. Hopefully I can find some kind of pattern.

Lorraine walsh

Intermediate

• A techie by nature!
        « Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 06:26:28 AM »
        Have you tested the system at all with testing / benchmark software? I would start with the Memory and test it outside of Windows to see if there's any hardware problems.

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso