Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot Open updated jar file  (Read 2427 times)

mystictide

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Cannot Open updated jar file
    « on: October 02, 2016, 09:54:19 AM »
    I have downloaded an updated jar application to replace one  I have been using and unzipped it. The folder containing the files has been saved on the desktop. If you right click there is no option to open with java. It has a different name than the previous one so there is no confusion it is like starting a new program
    Java is installed and I have checked it using the version command. The zip file has an extension -app.jar but the unzipped file ends with -app.
    Running the command DIR shows that the unzipped folder is a <DIR> not an executable file, although it contains all the program files
    I have tried to run it using command prompt
    open command prompt as administrator, change directory to desktop, the place where the file is saved. then I have input  java -jar filename and get the error cannot open jar file. I have tried it by adding a .jar at the end of the file name and have tried using "" round the file name but I keep getting the same error message. The icon on the file is a folder icon not a java one I am using windows 8.1

Please can someone help me I am at my wits end after two days of reading forums and trying everything. I even tried someone's prewritten bat file only to get the same result