Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless AP / Router Comparison  (Read 2472 times)

Jreg

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Expert
    Wireless AP / Router Comparison
    « on: November 01, 2016, 07:55:58 PM »
    Hello all,

I recently received a free Firewall/Wireless Router and I am trying to figure out the best way to introduce it into my home network.

Device in question:
    Fortinet FortiWifi 61E
    https://www.fortinet.com/content/dam/fortinet/assets/data-sheets/FortiGate_FortiWiFi_60E_Series.pdf

My Current Home Setup:

Internet Plan (Cox Cable 100 down)

Gateway/Router:
    Asus RT-AC88U (Plugs straight into my Cable modem)

Connected Devices:
    1 Desktop (Hardwire)(Video / Gaming Traffic)
    1 Laptop (Hardwire)(Work connects out over VPN)
    1 Xbox (Wifi)(Netflix Streaming Traffic)
    1 Laptop (Wifi)(Various traffic including video streaming)
    2 Smartphones (Wifi)
    1 Network Printer

Now, I would like to use the FortiWifi 61E for it's security features. I am also considering switching it so that it is the Wifi AP and default gateway.

My questions would be thus:

1) Will the FortiWifi 61E provide better wifi coverage / speeds over my Asus RT-AC8U?
    2) If 1 is yes, does that hold even considering the workload of the security features on the FortiWifi or is the LAN small enough that it isn't going to affect things?
    3) If 1 or 2 is answered so that the Asus is kept as the AP, should I install the FortiWifi in transparent mode in between the modem and the Asus (and just turn off the wifi capability of the fortiwifi), or connect it to the router and set up a one arm sniffer mode and try to mirror traffic to it (not sure if I can even do that with the Asus.

I'm still researching things myself but thought I would see if anyone could provide any opinions or input.

Thanks!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Wireless AP / Router Comparison
    « Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 09:03:39 PM »
    1) Will the FortiWifi 61E provide better wifi coverage / speeds over my Asus RT-AC8U?

Since you already have the free device I would run a network benchmark and signal strength comparison between the 2 to figure out which is better. As far as if you have range issues, I would run a cat5 cable and have this lit up as an additional wireless zone if you have coverage issues. Whichever is the better performing wireless device you can even have located nearest to devices needing performance vs just a connection to the internet etc.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Wireless AP / Router Comparison
    « Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 09:39:35 PM »
    Hello, it is hard to give a clear answer to your question. Both routers appear to be high quality units that have more than enough power for any home network application.
    As for improving your Wi-Fi coverage, it is unlikely either which show any noticeable improvement.
    Something you might want to consider is the question of what your Internet service provider will allow. They may have some restriction about having more than one router on their network. You may want to ask them in a discrete manner.